Sunday, April 3, 2011

why we need birthdays

Crazy couple of weeks. I know four people who have been in or are still in the hospital. In comparison my being in the midst of getting a show to opening night tonight is a small thing. Still, lots of emotions going on under the surface. And, as I learned this week, my stress reaction is to be emotional, not really a good thing. At least it doesn’t feel that way.

I turned 28 on Tuesday. It’s as old as I’ve ever felt before, which may not sound like much. After all, don’t we all feel older each year? But, there’s an added gravity to 28 that there wasn’t at 27. I think I’m feeling how close I am to 30 and actually contemplating the age that sends many people into some sort of life crisis. I knew I wouldn’t be able to do much birthday celebrating, because of being in the show, but it turned out I didn’t really get to do any. Meetings, rehearsals, and other commitments, some of which were actually very positive in themselves, took up time and there wasn’t any left over just for me.

Nonetheless, I’m so grateful for all the friends and family who took the time to let me know that my birthday was important, that I was important, even if we didn’t get to celebrate. Perhaps that is why we need birthdays; it’s a day to say, “yes, I’m glad you’re alive and in my life.” We all need that from time to time.

I’m still waiting on a lot of things in my life, and will probably always be waiting for something, for the next thing. The challenge is to not grow weary in the waiting, to keep walking forward with focus and purpose, and to tell the people around me that they matter; that I’m glad they’re alive and in my life.

I am thankful to God for my friends and family walking with me. I am thankful that we do matter to God and to each other, and that He’s given us the power to make a difference to someone next to us. Life is full of difference making moments. Let’s not miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment