Tuesday, April 19, 2011

thankful for time well spent

Last week I was able to go visit family in Oklahoma. The trip was rather unexpected and last minute, and I felt strange about it. I don't usually make major plans like that so quickly. But, while looking at my schedule for the next six months, it suddenly dawned on me that my current two week break between shows would likely be my only opportunity of visiting family till September. So I arranged things with work and family and bought my plane tickets on Thursday for a flight that Sunday, three days later.

Later that evening I was commenting to friends about how strange the trip seemed and asked for prayer that I would make the most of this time, whatever it was supposed to be. Then my phone rang. My dad was calling to tell me that my gramma had had a stroke and was on her way to the hospital. Suddenly my trip took on a whole new importance. I'm was and still am amazed by how God had arranged events. Before booking the flight, I briefly had a thought of canceling the whole thing - "It's too unplanned, too lastminute - I don't know what I'm doing." But I went ahead with the trip and asked God to help me make the most of it.

Now, praise God, my gramma has recovered, many would say, miraculously. When the stroke first happened, she couldn't speak and couldn't use her right side. On the day I left Oklahoma, she was being discharged from the hospital. She can hold a conversation, though she can't always think of how to say what she means. She can feed herself and has regained the use of her right side. I'm so so thankful that I got to spend good time with her while I was home. She'll be celebrating her 95 birthday later this month. I'm not sure I will have another opportunity to see her before she goes to be with Jesus. But I know I will see her again someday, when I leave this world as well, and that gives me great comfort.

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in love. Psalm 103

No comments:

Post a Comment