Sunday, April 3, 2011

quickly answered prayers

Last night I stayed up way too late reading through a book on manners as research for the play I’m rehearsing. I’m fascinated by manners, which gratify the part of me that really likes rules and structure. If I know what I’m supposed to do, what the right thing to do is, then I will do it.

“To be truly polite, it is necessary to be, at the same time, good, just, and generous. True politeness is the outward visible sign of those inward graces called modesty, unselfishness, and generosity.” - unknown French writer

The most mature Christians I know have a steadiness about them. They are generous enough to let pass the little faults and inconsideration of those around them. They know their own position in the world - I am Sarah, He is God. How He would have me behave is really what manners are all about. We are told to put others before ourselves and love our neighbor.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, having slept a bit longer than intended, I received a text from a friend asking for prayer for a situation that wasn’t resolving on it’s own and was becoming serious. I almost offered up a kind of Hail Mary prayer on the spot, but decided to finish what I was doing first so I could focus. I’m glad I did. When I pray purposefully, focused on God and His desire, I know that whatever the outcome, He’s got everything in hand. About thirty minutes later, another text announced that the situation was resolving right at that very moment.

I am thankful to God for His mercy in quickly answered prayers. He doesn’t always choose to respond that way, but when He does, as a direct result of the prayers of His people (I wasn’t the only one praying) I am encouraged. Encouraged to trust Him and step out again in faith the next time He asks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment