Sunday, April 3, 2011

ever present grace

This morning I woke up to the sound of the artic blast blowing through Houston with lots of rain. Needless to say, I did not want to get up and ended up with a headache that would not go away till the afternoon. I hardly ever have headaches. When I do, they are easily knocked out by drinking water or taking tylenol. This one vanquished (word of the day for Will) water, meds, and caffiene. I think I was low on sleep, which I hope to remedy (another good word) soon.

Remedy is a word I’ve been pondering for a few days. What do you do when you are face to face with the absolute truth of your guilt? When you realize you can’t explain it away or justify your sin? What is the remedy for sin-induced guilt? Admiting your sin.

“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

Don’t try to cover it up or cling possessively to it as though it’s your cross to bear. That cross has already been carried much better and stronger. Jesus suffered in full and finished the work. None of us can bear the weight of our sin and trying to does not make a person more holy. It’s a strange kind of pride that says only I can suffer/atone for my sin. Christ’s work wasn’t enough for me - I’m too big a sinner.

“Those that cling to worthless idols, forfeit the grace that could be theirs.” Jonah 2:8

Every once in a while, look up and make sure you are clinging to the cross. Anything else will bankrupt you.

I am thankful to God for His ever present grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment