Sunday, April 3, 2011

the very best "good man"

“When we stop believing that good men exist, we lose the desire to be good women.” - Lauren Nicole Love, A Good Woman’s Guide to the 21st Century

A friend shared this article on Facebook a couple of days ago, and I think based on his comments, mine, and another friend’s, we each took something slightly different away from it. The article was largely about what good men are willing to do for good women - that good women inspire men to be better but conversely that good men do the same for women. I don’t want to rehash the whole article here; you would be much better off reading it for yourself, so I’ve included a link at the bottom.

However, it did get me to thinking further down the lines of what I hear God speaking to me right now, and where I’m trying to put my focus: on Jesus Christ and His love for me. He was and is the very best “good man” and I am made good because of Him. His love is what inspires me to be better than I am: He laid down His life for me. Me, just as I am.

The lie I often hear, which I can scarcely give voice to for fear it might be true, is that good men won’t/don’t want me, and that I’m not good enough to deserve a godly man. I know all my failings despite what people may see on the outside, and I fear that I’ll never get my act cleaned up enough to deserve a Bible reading, praying, courageous man of God. Now, I also know that no one is perfect, that godly men aren’t perfect, and that I’m not a horrible person, but still, I have allowed that lie to sit inside me.

The truth is that I am one of God’s master works, created to do the good things He planned ahead for me - long before I ever took my first step of faith. That I reflect a unique part of God’s heart, and that “in the same way you would die to be an incredible woman, there are men that would die to be incredible for you.” I know one of them, the best one of them, Jesus, and He’s calling me to be my best for Him. So, I’m focusing, for as long as I hear that call inside me, on Christ and His love for me, so that in knowing this love, I will be empowered to live courageously for Him.

I’m praying Ephesians 3:16-19, ESV

16that according to(B) the riches of his glory(C) he may grant (me) to be strengthened with power through his Spirit(D) in (my) inner being, 17(E) so that Christ may dwell in (my) heart through faith—that (I), being(F) rooted and(G) grounded in love, 18may have strength to(H) comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and(I) height and depth, 19and to know the love of Christ(J) that surpasses knowledge, that(K) (I) may be filled with all(L) the fullness of God.

I am thankful to God for His love for me in Christ Jesus.

“O Love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in thee;
I give thee back the life I owe,
That in thine ocean depths its flow
May richer, fuller be.”

- George Matheson

http://makeitmad.com/2011/02/16/a-good-womans-guide-to-the-21st-century/

No comments:

Post a Comment